First sharing the no knead bread recipe which was from Family Fun Magazine, I used this to make 3 large loaves of bread, this is perfect sandwich bread.
2 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 T (2 packets) granulated yeast
1 1/2 T. coarse salt, or 1 T. table salt
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/3 c. veg. oil, melted unsalted butter, or olive oil (I use olive oil)
6 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
In a lg. bowl or lidded container, stir together the water, yeast, salt, eggs, honey, and oil or melted butter, then mix in the flours. If needed, the last bit of flour can be incorporated with wet hands.
Loosely cover the dough and let it rise at room temp. until it collapses on top, about 2 hrs.
3. Use the dough immediately or refrigerate it in a lidded (not airtight container and use it over the next five days. It can also be frozen in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to one mos. (we recommend freezing the dough in 1 lb. portions for fease of use) Frozen dough can be shaped, rested, and baked after it has defrosted overnight in the refrigerator. To cut a recipe's worth of dough from the bulk batch, dust the surface of the dough with flour, then use kitchen shears or a knife to snip off what you need.
Lightly grease a loaf pan, heat oven to 350 deg. brush the top of the loaf with the egg wash, then use a sharp, serrated bread knife to make three cuts across the top. Place the loaf on the oven's center rack and bake until brown and firm, about 45 min. Remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool completely before cutting.
Then to top off the bread my family loves homemade apple butter, here's the recipe I use:
- 5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place apples in a slow cooker. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt; pour over apples and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown, stirring occasionally (stir more frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking). Uncover and cook on low 1 hour longer. If desired, stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cover and refrigerate or freeze.
|Pumpkin Chili Mexicana|
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped red bell pepper
1 clover garlic, finely choppped
1 lb. ground turkey
2 cans (14.5oz) no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained (Wal-mart brand)
1 can (15oz) Libby's 100% Pure Pumplin
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15.25 oz) kidney beans, drained (I rinse to lower the salt by 40%)
1 can (4oz) diced green chilis
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 T. chili powder
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. black pepper
I added a T. cheddar cheese and a T. sour cream when serving
|French Crust Apple Pie|
For dessert we had french crust, apple pie. It was not bad but not my favorite crust and pie recipe, definately had better. So won't be trying this one again.